Seattle Theft Crimes Lawyer
Fighting to Defend Clients' Rights Since 1998
Being arrested and charged with theft can be a traumatic and potentially life-changing event. Regardless of the circumstances surrounding the arrest, you need an experienced Seattle theft crimes lawyer who understands the Washington laws regarding theft to fight aggressively on your behalf. Matthew Hale is a successful criminal defense attorney who has handled thousands of criminal defense cases. Hale Law Enterprises has the experience, qualifications, and confidence needed to successfully fight your theft charges!
Want to learn more about your options? Call (206) 207-4776 for a free consultation regarding your theft charges!
Types of Theft Charges
As with any area of law, the specific charges you will face are unique to the circumstances of your case.
However, there are three main degrees of theft described in the Washington statutes with specific charges and potential sentencing penalties:
- First-Degree Theft: This is the highest theft category. A person convicted of first-degree theft has been found to commit a theft of property worth $5,000 or more. This is punishable by up to 10 years in a Washington state correctional institution, a fee up to $20,000, or both.
- Second-Degree Theft: Second-degree theft describes a person who commits theft of property with a value between $750 and $1000. If you are convicted of second-degree theft, you can face up to 5 years in a Washington state correctional institution and pay a fee of up to $10,000.
- Third-Degree Theft: According to the Washington statutes, a person charged with third-degree theft simply means that the defendant is accused of the theft of property with a value of up to $750. A person convicted of this may be sentenced to jail time for up to one year and a fine of up to $5000.
Theft with Special Circumstances
There are a significant number of different types of theft a person can commit, as laid out in the Washington statutes. Depending on the circumstances of the case, there may be additional charges or penalties specific to the type of theft.
A few special cases of theft may include:
- Robbery (theft + assault)
- Burglary (theft + unlawful entry with intent to commit a crime + a deadly weapon)
- Theft of a firearm
- Motor vehicle theft
Whatever the circumstances of your case may be, the highly-experienced Seattle theft crime attorney at Hale Law Enterprises is prepared to fight for you! Call (206) 207-4776 today!